Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Pair of French Chairs get a Skirt


Many months ago I found a pair of cane-backed Frenchy chairs and refinished  them. 

Before:                                                      After:















I sanded the chairs down and sealed and stained the wood with dark wax and hemp oil and tried to sell them, but no one was interested.  I put the chairs in the back of my workshop and pretty much just forgot about them. 

After reading Miss Mustard Seed's posts about making slip covers, I was inspired to make some too.  I remembered my chairs and I decided they  could use a cute skirted slip cover.  I can sew, but am definitely a beginner.  When I was a teenager I spent lots of time with my grandmother and she knew how to sew and taught me the basics during the summer months.  


I had a great crisp blue and white striped sheet that I had picked up and thought it would be perfect for the slip covers.  




I traced a circle on a piece of butcher paper that was a bit larger then the seats and had notches for the back  and then placed it on the fabric and cut.  I have never sewn a ruffle/pleat, but decided to give it a go. Hey, if Marian says it can be done then I am going for it!   I ripped a long strip of fabric and then hemmed one side for a clean edge.  The next step was to pleat and sew and pleat and sew.  It was surprisingly easy and pretty quick.  

I sewed the ruffle/pleat around the seat part and then sewed some ribbon on the back section for ties.  




I am very proud of myself and my amateur sewing skills!  


I love the natural wood 







Hydrangeas, Ironstone and a galvanized tray=LOVE 





I decided I liked the slip-covers kind of wrinkled and not ironed, so I left them that way. 










39 comments:

  1. Adorable slipcovers on your fabulous chairs. I'm not surprised you had a buyer so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cane back chairs, if i could find them easier id end up with a house full!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chairs and their covers look great. You did a wonderful job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy-I gave myself a good pat on the back for the slipcovers!

      Delete
  4. Stare najprawdopodobniej dębowe krzesła, CUDOWNE. Hortensje również są cudowne, u mnie już też przekwitają i różowieją.
    pozdrawiam serdecznie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing the article above, I really like your writing postingkan. I hope you can also stop by the website info guru terbaru I, a warm greeting from the admin situsguru.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job for a beginner...sewing isn't something that comes easy for me. Love the fabric...it's always good to recycle. Have a great week, DD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marigene-I like to sew, but I also like to do things fast and sewing can be so stop and start that I can get frustrated!

      Delete
  7. these are beautiful, DD, and i love them wrinkled, too! it's easier and looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ou Cassie-I love them wrinkled too and I also like easier!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful, you did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much-I am pretty proud of myself!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. The skirts looks so great.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Kris-I think the skirts are cute too!

      Delete
  11. They are perfect shop chairs! Great job on the skirts, as well -- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much-I went and saw them at the shop and they look great in it!

      Delete
  12. Love the chairs and the cute slips. You did a grand job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim-I think the chairs look much better now!

      Delete
  13. So charming! I love the slouchy, slightly wrinkled look of the skirts. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda-I love them slouchy and wrinkled too!

      Delete
  14. So charming! I love the slouchy, slightly wrinkled look of the skirts. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These chairs are gorgeous and I think you did an absolutely fabulous job sewing those cute little skirts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benita-I am happy that my sewing job turned out!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on the sale of your chairs after slipcovering them. Your sewing skills impressed the heck out of me Darrielle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie-I can sew but it is not my favorite thing to do!

      Delete
  17. Isn't it amazing what small changes can do for the chairs? The slipcovers look wonderful and your choice of fabric is always on point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria-I know you have a "chair thing" too and yes small changes can really make a chair nice a gain!

      Delete
  18. Your chairs were so pretty just the way they were, but sometimes all it takes is a tweak here or there for something to finally sell. I'm not the least bit surprised that they sold after you made those pretty seat covers. Great job! Thanks for sharing them at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi D.D.!
    Beautiful job on these chairs - you worked hard! Love the pretty slip covers too - well done!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine-I really like how they turn out too and I might have to sew some more now!

      Delete
  20. Wonderful transformation and lovely display, D.D! I would love if you could share this at our party which runs every Tuesday http://sweethings.net/oh-my-heartsie-girls-wordless-wednesday-2/ #OMHGWW
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs,

    Pili

    ReplyDelete
  21. These chairs are so sweet Darielle! You did a lovely job of them and I'm so thrilled you were able to share them at my Making Broken Beautiful party, I do hope you will join in again tomorrow :0)
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your chairs are AH-dorable. How do I follow you on INstagram?

    ReplyDelete